Friday, June 10, 2005

Apple and Intel, Intel and Apple

Earlier in the week, Apple announced that they were going to start making Macintoshes with Intel-branded x86 processors in them.  Adding to this is Intel's plan to support virtualization in a next-generation of CPUs.  My hope is that it means I could run the MacOS along side Windows on the same machine and both at native speeds, or slightly below that, but who's counting.  The whole situation reminds me of an ad I saw many years ago, which featured Apple's DOS Compatible Mac.  The idea was simple, take an in-production Mac, install an IBM-compatible on-a-card, and sell it as a package deal.  The ad featured a user switching back and forth between a Windows 3.x desktop and the MacOS.  Shortly thereafter I got a Power Mac 6100, which I happily used as my primary machine for about four years or so.  It was this ad that did it though.  In a small fit of nostalgia, I went searching for a copy of this ad.  I never did find it, but I did find a few other interesting Apple ads:



NOTE: The above ads were compiled and hosted at: http://www.esm.psu.edu/Faculty/Gray/movies.html

No comments: